Zen Filter

Zen Buddhist websites, news, and discussion

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Intimacy

Wonderful essay from the Nebraska Zen centre on Intimacy and Mindfulness by Nonin Chowaney.

As I walked back to the desk, I thought of something I'd read in a book by Kosho Uchiyama years ago, when I was just starting to practice zazen. He said, "If you can't hear the pots crying out in pain when you bang them together in the kitchen, your zazen is not deep enough." I didn't know what he meant at the time and imagined "pot beings" in agony in some non-human purgatory, but the phrase stuck in my mind, and when I slammed the door the other day and felt its pain, I understood what Uchiyama-roshi had meant. Fifteen years of zazen had opened my ears

3 Comments:

Blogger M said...

Thanks for posting this, it's food for thought. Now I have to be more mindful of how hard I'm banging the keys on this poor old keyboard. ;)

7:00 AM  
Blogger Nacho said...

Oh this couldn't come at a better time. I had an a simple yet profound experience the other day that reaffirmed my practice, the wisdom of the sangha, and the reality that insight is a flash of wonder felt in an embodied way rather than in an intellectual or theorized way. Funny thing, it is the small things, seemingly silly at first, and things that one figures one "knows" already, that truly surprise and amaze one when one experiences them. Like the banging of the pots! Kosho Uchiyama's "Opening the Hand of Thought" is a wonderful book.

Thanks!

Nacho
WoodMoor Village

4:45 PM  
Blogger Gareth said...

Thanks for the comments, nacho the difference between knowing and expieriencing is a distance that I frequently find within my practice, and you are right, when your really Know them: Wow!

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares