Zen Filter

Zen Buddhist websites, news, and discussion

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The Big Mind and the little self

Interesting article

When Dennis Merzel began his formal Zen studies three decades ago, his Japanese Zen master's methods left him perplexed. 'DIE ON YOUR CUSHION!' Koryu Roshi exhorted his novices who sat cross-legged on cushions facing a wall at the Los Angeles Zen Center. 'BECOME THE WALL!'

'I don't know what the hell he's talking about,' Merzel remembers thinking. 'And even if I knew, I'm not doing it.'

2 Comments:

Blogger Mumon K said...

I have a related post on my blog.

I intend to blog-roll you when I get around to updating it. Hopefully soon.

Good to see you!

4:01 PM  
Blogger M said...

Thanks for the link to your excellent blog.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares