Zen Filter

Zen Buddhist websites, news, and discussion

Monday, July 10, 2006

Zen and ambition

Is Zen compatible with ambition?:

"A friend asked me today whether or not practicing Zen was detrimental to one's ambition and personal drive to succeed, something we've come to think of as a particularly American/Western value.

I don't think so, as I practice Zen and am certainly driven and work hard, but I couldn't really articulate why. How would you have answered that question?"


Click the link to read the answers and discussion.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very interesting, I was asking myself the very same question.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Kevin's Blog said...

I have been struggling with this one myself. My current thinking is that this is a conflict between the idea of power and compassion. Since Ideas are delusional by nature I would venture to say my problem is that I have once again left the present emerging moment to play a game about the future or past. Life is struggling, I need not make excuses for being true to my nature.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares