Zen Filter

Zen Buddhist websites, news, and discussion

Monday, April 04, 2005

Zen and the Art of Pest Control

With the warming weather comes my old friends, the ants. I could almost ignore them if they weren't so determined to get into my cereal. That is sacred ground. So I've been hunting about the Internet for a Zen like way to send them packing. I thought the information I found might be helpful to others. So far the best links are Any ideas for natural bug control? and All-Natural Ant Repellent. In particular, I found this interesting:
Connect with the deva of the ants and ask what their gift is to you. Our nature friends always show up to give us gifts; we just think they are pests instead of guests! Ant represents diligence, focus on the task in front of you, teamwork. Admirable qualities, all, and perhaps part of their gift to you.

While you are talking with them, explain that you appreciate them, and that it's not OK for them to be in your home. If there is a place on your land where it's OK for them to be, let them know that and give them permission to go there. Treat them as you would an honored and respected guest. Most likely, they were on the land where you reside before you were, so there is some question about who is invading whose territory!

When I've worked with "pests" in this way, they have always respected my request if I was truly coming from my heart. All of life appreciates appreciation, and simply wants to be heard. Lend them an ear, and make a clear request of them. Chances are, they will do as you ask.

If you have any other ideas or comments, let me know.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few years ago, I was sharing an apartment with someone, and we had ongoing discussions about the 'stupid ants' that would oftentimes appear. They had no apparent interest in sugar, or the inevitable crumbs that we left. We did note, however, that they would get into the most unlikely places - - the bleach bottle, the hand soap dispenser, the bookcase.... It was from this that we termed them 'stupid.' Over the three years we lived there, we figured there was nothing that could be done, we just had to live with them since we couldn't determine just what they were after.

My advise is to put all food in airtight containers, even go out and get yourself one of those vacuum sealing machines. Also, storing anything possible in the refrigerator. After awhile the infestation will lessen.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Infernon said...

I haven't actually read the post, only the subject, so please forgive if this is duplicate info.
I've had problems with ants before in my apartment and I recently read something about using vinegar as a deterrent. I haven't given it a try yet, but I know that some people clean with it as well.
Story goes... If you use a half vinegar, half water solution, it should be sufficient to repel your unwelcome friends in a way that is safe to them. Try spraying it around the borders of the room.

PS. I found out where my ants were coming from with a bit of "bait". Their trail lead me straight back to their hiding place.

3:20 PM  
Blogger M said...

I wish my ants were a little dumber. They seem to like the same things I do. Thanks for the replies

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares