Zen Filter

Zen Buddhist websites, news, and discussion

Friday, April 08, 2005

Zen and the art of body maintenance

I came into Zen by accident. I had been meditating for some years - using meditation to help me manage chronic pain - pain that effects my life deeply. I came to know that I needed a Sangha to meditate with - though of course I did not know the name Sangha then. A lovely neighbour, Bruno, invited me to the Monday night sit at the Maitai Zendo and I happily accepted and went along. I thought it pretty strange; all that chanting, bell ringing, bowing, and prostrations - very weird. I have never been religious, indeed I am quite contemptuous of people who have found religion. I did not want anyone telling me the answers, I wanted my own reality, my own discoveries.

However I stuck to it, I was not managing my pain well at the time and I guess I was open to new things. I surprised myself a little by continuing to go, and now find myself a regular.


Read the rest here

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suggest you are a perfect candidate for the practice taught by Toni Packer. You can find articles, books and tapes by her using any search engine.

9:59 PM  
Blogger M said...

Do you mean me or the person whose article is quoted?

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was referring to whoever wrote the article.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares